Have a Backyard Wedding
By: Christina Hughey
It’s wedding season prime time. In fact, I am getting married in October. Something we really wanted to do but couldn’t was an outdoor wedding. Many couples right now are taking their vows in their own backyards. Backyard weddings are intimate and unique for each couple. Maybe you are getting married in you and your significant others first home’s backyard or in a special family member’s backyard. Whatever the location, outdoor weddings are stunning. These romantic spaces are special for many reasons. Here are a few reasons to love outdoor weddings:
- An outdoor wedding can be done in the comfort of your own home.
- An outdoor wedding can save lots of money (think of venue prices, you’re even able to provide your own food and drinks if you want to).
- An outdoor wedding gives you so much freedom! Its your backyard so you have as much time to set up as you want, you can have your wedding be as long as you want. The options are endless. You even have the option to do something like hiring a food truck.
- My absolute favorite reason is that you can design your backyard venue however you’d like. You get to choose all the plants you grow, implement a fountain or anything you can dream up. Plus, no need to splurge on tons of flowers for the décor because it is already all around you!
Here are a few steps necessary to get your backyard wedding ready:
- Plan out your wedding activities first, this way you know where the placement of things will be and how much space you will need. Plan everything from the type of meal to the type of entertainment you would like. Do you want picnic style or a plated dinner? Is the wedding and reception both held in the yard? Would you like a DJ or a band? These are questions you should ask yourself.
- Measure your yard and verify you have enough room for the number of guest to fit comfortably. A good rule of thumb is four square feet for a standing ceremony and eight square feet for a seated ceremony per guest.
- Be sure to have great looking grass. Consider planting new sod. Also, be sure to mow the lawn a couple days before the wedding.
- Choose plants that work with your wedding colors.
- Make any necessary repairs. Look around for holes or other things that may need to be repaired. Also look for weeds and roots popping out of concrete.
- Add as much or as little light as you would like. The nice thing about backyard weddings is that you will have plenty of time to set up lights before your wedding.
- If you are able to, hire a professional. They can work with you to create your vision. In addition, they can take some of the stress off of you for getting your yard wedding ready.
Have a wedding no one will ever forget. Dg2Design can help you with transforming your backyard into your own wedding day oasis. We can assist in plant choices, layout and much more! Let us help you create the perfect outdoor venue for your special day. Call dg2design for any questions about designing your own backyard and getting it wedding ready. Our designers are happy to help you with your special day.